Currently, 711 E. Mulberry St. nonetheless stands proudly. Designed almost 100 years in the past, it has served and continues to serve its community faithfully. Chester Dude Armstrong is the gentleman to thank for its institution.
C. Man Armstrong was born in Hocking County in 1892, to George Judson and Laura Armstrong. C. Person married Hazel Heffner in 1912 and their son Raymond was born in 1915.
C. Man worked as a truckman for the Pennsylvania Railroad till he purchased the grocery inventory of Edward Baus at the corner of Maple and Walnut Streets. He took charge of the grocery (15 March 1919 Daily Eagle) and launched his profession as a grocer.
Hazel Armstrong (1893-1920) died at 27 several years of age. C. Dude married Margaret Shonting in 1921, and procured the property on the NE corner of Madison and Mulberry Streets, 300 Madison, for $3350 from the widow of Shelton Matthew. Shelton, a glass blower, his spouse Teresa and their two sons ended up living there when the 1900 U.S. Census was taken.
Armstrong declared in 1925 he was erecting a 28 by 40 foot creating at the again/east close of his whole lot along the alley. He would occupy the new developing as a grocery and meat current market. “Opens Grocery Retailer Saturday,” was the announcement on 25 Nov. 1925 in the Everyday Eagle. Armstrong was featuring “a full stock of groceries, meats and veggies,” and would provide free truck service to all areas of the city. Armstrong’s Marketplace confronted Mulberry St. with 705 as its 1st residence selection and afterwards 711 E. Mulberry.
Six yrs later on the Day-to-day Eagle (25 Nov. 1931) noted Armstrong experienced “repainted and redecorated the complete building occupied by the retail outlet and flats over. Ivory is the basic shade, with exterior buff trim and the interior different with inexperienced and black. The Armstrong Current market is one particular of Lancaster’s larger independent meals stores…”
Following 19 years, Armstrong sold the grocery to James W. Mast in 1944. Mast retired and offered the store to William Fisher in 1950. The Fisher Foodstuff Marketplace was sold in 1951 to Robert McInturf and turned “Bob’s Marketplace.” The grocery store yrs arrived to an stop in 1961 when Gus and Fred Wright held a grand opening on Sept. 21 for The Ice Product Bowl. They supplied “Lancaster’s Major Sundae – A Food in a Bowl,” as well as soups, sandwiches, fountain service, and hand-dipped sweets. By 1963 nonetheless, The Ice Product Bowl was for sale, and the making was taken in a new way.
Downtown on Most important St., the new Manson’s store opened a splendor salon in Feb. 1963 with Mrs. Catherine Thrush as supervisor. About 18 months later on, Mrs. Thrush and Jhon Allard (Mr. Jhon), a single of her beauticians, opened a new salon at 711 E. Mulberry St. This move opened a new chapter in the historical past of 711 E. Mulberry…and it carries on yet these days.
Metta’s Pamper Salon, owned by Mrs. Metta Primovic, opened her shop at this site in 1970. Larry Garlinger, owner of Coat of Arms Barber & Styling Salon, procured 711 E. Mulberry in 1975 from Primovic, and it grew to become Coat of Arms Women’s Hair Models. By 1985 it was Rocky’s Coat of Arms (A. Rocky & Connie Evans). The residence (natural beauty salon and two bed room apartment) went up for sale in 1995 but seemingly did not promote.
Connie Evans marketed 711 E. Mulberry to Mary K. Liptak in Nov. 2019. Liptak recognized Shire Hair Design LLC in August of 2020. Thanks to her expense in the community and group, C. Guy Armstrong’s investment decision life on.
Visitors might get hold of Harvey at [email protected]